I had planned to come to you all with a post about how I am trying to get ready to walk the TCS New York City Marathon, but things chanced pretty quickly. My school dismisses students between 2:15-2:40ish and then teachers are free to leave anytime after 3:00. Well Tuesday at 1:45 an announcement came on for every teacher to check their email immediately. At this point I knew the stuff was about to hit the fan because they never interrupt teaching time with announcements and we aren’t supposed to check our emails during teaching time either.
When I checked my email it basically said that Charleston County Schools was preparing for the hurricane and to wrap all the technology in plastic, move everything away from windows, unplug everything, etc. Now, I knew Hurricane Matthew was coming, but I was thinking we would have school off on Friday and that would be about it. Plus, while we have had plenty of hurricane and tropical storm days over my 13 years teaching this is only the second time I got and email with all those directions. So, I went and asked my principal if I could wait and do it all Wednesday after school instead of Tuesday after school because I was supposed to be observed at 7:30 on Wednesday morning. She said to trust her and do it then because I wouldn’t be back tomorrow.
Then at 3:00 the governor had a press conference asking for evacuations to begin and reversing the highways so all lanes of traffic would head away from Charleston, the first time this has been done in about 20 years from what I have heard. She also ordered that all coastal counties (that is me) close there schools. Most local businesses followed suit and closed down Tuesday night/Wednesday morning so people would have time to evacuate. Well the news of the evacuation and the fact that they were expecting it to be serious enough to reverse the roads sent people over the edge.
By the time I got back to my side of town around 7pm there were already gas lines at some stations a mile long. Plus the station next to me had run out of gas. I decided to run across the street and check out the grocery store and it was NUTS! People were going crazy and some of them were getting really angry. I guess stuff like this can bring out the best or worst in people.
This morning I was able to wait in line at Costco and get gas and also get water. In addition to that, I hauled my hurricane stuff out from my spare bedroom. I have my Hurricane Matthew essentials all set up. I have lived here 13 years and this is only the second time I have had to do this so it is not a very common occurrence.
My hurricane kit includes:
– towels and rags incase the windows leak
– lots of batteries
– an emergency radio
– lots of drinking water
– two 5 gallon tubs of water for other purposesI have decided to stay and not evacuate because:
– I want to know what happens to my property
– I am hoping I can help things in someway
– Friends of mine drove for about 7 hours to make it 3 hours away and I despise traffic
– My parents showed up and all the reserved hotel rooms where given away
– Evacuation costs money (hotel, gas, etc.)
I am prepared as best I can. From what I am hearing talking to people, sounds like it is about 50/50 on staying and evacuating. I am hoping and praying for the best. Chances are I will lose power for a bit, but if that is all that happens I will be perfectly fine with that. For now I am just waiting as the worst of it is supposed to hit us for 24 hours between late Friday night and Saturday night.
Let me know –
If it came down to it would you be the type to stay or go?