Tomorrow (Thursday) night is the first of the five 5K races in the Race the Landing summer series.
I loved this series last year:
– early registrants get all 5 races for the price of 3
– the course is the same for each race so you can focus on improving your time
– it is a very pretty setting and a flat course
– they give out awards 5 deep in each age group so I actually have a chance to win one
– the awards are very unique (otters, pirate swords, etc.)
– free dinner after, and it is good
– awesome race photographer
I always set A, B, and C goals for races in hopes that no matter what happens I will meet at least one of my goals.
Here they are for this 5K series:
C – finish sub 29
B – finish sub 28
A – set a new PR under 27:30.6
* I know setting a new PR will be a challenge since my last one was set on a nice cool December day and these races bring on the heat and humidity in a way that makes you feel like you are running through an inner circle of Hell; however, I am hoping that all the speed work I have been doing over the last three months at Orange Theory Fitness has helped me improve enough that it will be possible.
I am definitely feeling faster. Last year my C goal was always to finish under 30 minutes and I bumped that goal down a whole minute this year, which is a ton of time in a 5K race.
Be on the lookout for a race recap this Sunday to see if I hit that new PR on race number 1, or if I will still be shooting for it on the next 4 races in the series.
Best race award you have ever received?
The pirate sword pictured above may be tied with my Marine Corp Marathon medal as far as my favorites go.