Training Update -Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

It has been over six months since I ran the full marathon in New Orleans, and after a long period of resting and letting my body heal I am slowly working my way back.  This weekend I ran 10 miles, my first double digit run in 6 months and was so excited to ramp my mileage up a bit.  I am currently focusing on half marathons and being able to run healthy and injury free.

My first of 5 planned half marathons will be the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon this Labor Day weekend.  I cannot believe it is coming up so quickly.  I have no goals for this race except to finish and have fun.  I am not setting a time goal because I know it will be HOT, and it is my first race back so I am going for pressure/stress free.  That means that as I have been training my focus has been on slowly and safely adding the distance so as not to reinjure myself.

So far I have had some good (for me) runs that felt fabulous.   10501975_742619992443252_6016573392228367388_n

And some really rough, slow, ugly runs.  10524615_747560421949209_7613914786178790155_n

Because of this I really have no idea what kind of pace to expect out of myself at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon, but I am so glad to be slowly working my way back to some distance running.

Do your training runs yo-yo from good to bad like mine?
What is your favorite race distance?

* Don’t forget that if you want to run the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon (or Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah for that matter) you can use the code SQUAREZERO for $10 off your registration.

Comments

I don’t up have too much variance in my runs but my son does- he went from running his first half in June to struggling through some of his 3 mile runs the past few weeks – I told him it is normal – some days are better than others!!!

Yes, it is. I had to stop and walk Weds after only 3 miles. I just couldn’t make it to 4. You never know with running.

It is completely normal! I have had runs where a 10 min/mile pace felt hard and runs where an 8 min/mile pace felt easy. Just depends on the day, temperature, how fatigued I am, etc. It is a lot of ups and downs with training and I think sometimes with garmin and everything, we focus more on pace instead of listening to our bodies. I think you are doing a great job and all the cross training will help too- just look at it as a fun experience no matter what happens and enjoy it!

Yep. Some bad days I just turn that Garmin off so it won’t stress me out and instead focus on just finishing.

Any time I have to run in the heat a turtle could easily outpace me. Even a dead one. 10K is the furthest I’ve done so far. I still can’t believe our running 5 half’s. That seems like so many to me!

It does sound like a ton, but when marathon training last year I ran at least 13 miles every Saturday, some days many more so only 5 sounds nice to me.

I really love your perspective on this race! its ENCOURAGING to see runners with a goal of finish and fun. Its great to set and reach goals, but if youre not enjoying the sport and pushing yourself too hard, what is the point?? Youll do great and thanks for being such a great example!

I think it’s nice to approach a race with no set expectations. This one should be fun, but it could be hot and humid – except for the sea breeze!

I have been unlucky enough to be on the yo-yo from one run to the next. I’ve had a few decent runs in a row recently that gives me hope, until last night and now as I sit here and type this I’ve got ice wrapped around my knee. Hoping if I chill out the rest of the week on running I’ll be OK for the long run this weekend (not to mention my next Spartan Race on Saturday).

I love the Wave Riders in that orange color; I totally want a pair. It sounds like you’re being really smart by taking it easy and running at whatever pace is comfortable. My long runs yo-yo, too, especially in the summer when performance is really affected by how hot and humid the weather is. Here’s hoping you have great weather for RNR Virginia Beach!

My training runs yo-yo just like yours! I am currently having issues with my right calf, so I’m just letting it kind of rest and running when I feel like it! I have no planned races (although I may sign up for a 5km soon so that I can get back out there).

I want to run a sprint triathlon next June so mastering the 5km is my goal right now!

Very smart idea to make no goal times or paces for the Virginia Beach Half marathon. My husband and I went to V.B. for Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago for our anniversary and to run the half. It was soooo hot and sooo humid we ran our slowest half marathon ever. This is a fun race though and finishing along the ocean is awesome. Nothing like cooling down with an ocean water swim. We enjoyed all the places to eat and there was also a music festival going on…not sure if it is this year or not. Have fun and hydrate lots!!! Can’t wait to read about your race!

Yes, I am so excited because Train is headlining the music festival and I think they will be really fun in concert. Or at least I hope they will.

Variances in training is not necessarily a bad thing, it prepares you for race day…which can be good and bad all in one. I did RNR VB last summer, it;s a great race but yes be prepared for heat/humidity and adjust goals accordingly. It is great to see how far you have come getting healthy and stronger since last marathon. Keep up the great work, it will all be worth it!

Because I’m at that lovely age where hormones hold me hostage, depending on the day of the month, my run may suck OR I may be a star. It all evens out I guess. Yay for 5 halfs–excited for you!

I’ve definitely had “good runs” and “bad runs” and those bad runs can be SO frustrating and defeating. I really love the half marathon distance. I’ve only done ONE, but I’m planning on doing a lot more! I like that it takes a lot of hard work and effort, but it doesn’t completely take over life. My husband and sister are both marathon runners and I’m amazed by how much work it takes! I would love to run a full some day though. ;-)

I’m a total yo-yo runner. Good training, bad training, consistent, not consistent, you name it. It’s nice that you’re going into the next one with no expectations. So much easier to have fun that way!

My good and bad moments sometimes happen within the same run! I’m glad you’re still training smart and happy. :)

Hahah, love how you stuck your foot in the photo! You’re so funny :) I too go through running yo-yos mostly because my schedule seems to change every few months and then everything gets out of whack :( But I work to get in my workouts when I can even if I think it might not be “enough”. I also understand the plan to just “finish” when hot weather is involved (been there!!!) Good luck on upcoming run!