Race The Landing – Recap 5

Confession: I DNS this race.
Actually, I just plain old skipped out.

Now, it was not a decision I took lightly.
I had already paid for the race – so that was pretty motivating.
Plus, I really wanted a alligator trophy.  Aren’t they cool looking?
I thought it would fit well next to the bear, otter, and pirate swords I got at 3 of the other races.
race the landing 5

However, my family was in town and I only get to see my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew two or three times a year.  The thought of leaving them from 5:30 onward, on their first of only four nights here, seemed like a worse and worse idea as the night went on.
On top of that, my hamstring had been really bothering me.  I cut my long run short Saturday, only walked Sunday, went to spin class Monday, and still was unable to run when I tried on Tuesday.  Not only was I worried my hamstring would hurt, but this had my really doubting my chances to get one of those gators.

In the end I made the choice that was best for me – FAMILY TIME!
We had a great dinner together, Jackson had lots of fun at bath time, we lit some big fireworks I had bought on sale (he loved them), and finally read books before bed.

I don’t regret my decision to skip the race at all.
Tell me about a time this week when your plans changed?
How do you balance family and fitness?

Check out the recaps of the 4 races I actually ran here:
Race the Landing – Recap 1
Race the Landing – Recap 2
Race the Landing – Recap 3
Race the Landing – Recap 4

Comments

I obviously DNSed two of these, but anyway. DNSing my goal 10k was a heck of a lot worse. You still get your money’s worth out of the series even if you can’t do all 5 races, and if you want a gator, do the New Year’s Day race they have (they give out the leftover awards there).

Thanks for the tip on the New Years Day race. And so sorry about your goal 10K, but happy you are back up and at it.

I’d have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. Family first! Plus resting the hammy doesn’t hurt either.

Family always comes first! You made the right choice, and those memories with Jackson will never be replaced. I skipped out on a run with Debi last Sunday because Lexi was cuddled up next to me and I just couldn’t leave her. Things happen!

We had so much fun setting off the fireworks I bought and counting the booms. I am so glad I stayed for that instead of racing.

Good decision Abby. Family time trumps a 5k race and lets face it, you got the cutest awards at the other races! Glad you had a great evening!

Family always comes first. However, everyone but my sister lives close. If my sister came to visit, everything would be skipped.

Its a tough decision not to run a race, especially one you’re registered for. I’ve had to make that decision twice now due to injuries. Recover or get worse? Of course race day I usually walked around all mopey and cranky.

I have had to DNS many races due to injury also and that was so much worse than this. Choosing not to run is way better than knowing you are not able to.

When I go home to visit family, I “plan” to do my training workouts, but know I’ll only get in like 25% of what I normally would do. I too would rather spend time with them then going to the gym or going off on a long run by myself. I’d rather go on a long walk with my mom and dog any day since I don’t get to see them much anymore. So oh well to the cute alligator, you had your own cute nephew to spend time with instead!!!

Yes, cute nephew trumps cute alligator any day. And I agree, sometimes I skip runs for momma walks too!

I think you made the right decision, if they all could have come to the race (or race with you) that would be different. But, also taking it easy because of your hamstring was probably the smart choice! (The alligator is really cute, though!)

As much as I like running, there certainly are more important things in life, and family ranks right up there. I think last week pretty much went as planned. I probably worked later than expected a few days, but that always happens.

Thanks. My brother gave me his cold/sinus thing so I have been trying to sleep it off, have not gotten to try out the hamstring yet.