Gluten Free Confessions

I have been gluten free for 4 months now.  I originally went gluten free because the doctor suggested it as a method to reduce migraines.  It worked – so I have decided to stick with it.

1. I have not lost a pound – I didn’t do this to lose weight, but everyone told me, “You’re going to lose so much weight when you stop eating everything with gluten.”  I wondered if that would be true since my favorite splurges are all full of gluten.  Goodbye boxes of Girl Scout Cookies, soft pretzels, and decadent desserts.  Truth is: you can find just as much bad for you stuff to eat that is gluten free.  (Hello, cheese by the pound!)  I just need to eat better all around.  wine & cheese 008
2. Sometimes I forget – Like after Valentines day there was a heart shaped box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates 50% off.  I love those bad boys, hazelnut and chocolate together equals heaven.  I totally grabbed up the box intending to give myself a little Valentine’s Day treat.  I bought them, made it all the way home, and it wasn’t until the next day when I was about to eat them that it dawned on me… they aren’t gluten free.  So sad.

3. I won’t let being GF embarrass me – At first I felt high maintenance asking gluten free questions, but now it is becoming old hat.  I once took off and chased a waitress across a restaurant just to make sure I remembered to request gluten free pizza crust (see number 2).
1743700_671945836177335_305306338_n (1)
4. I cannot eat just one serving of Nut Thins – They are the only gluten free crackers at my grocery store and I am no longer allowed to buy them because apparently I think the serving size is one full box.

5. I also believe an Udi’s pizza is a single serving – (similar issue as above) I am addicted to their Margherita pizza and I know it says it is two servings, but it is not.  It is too good and I like food too much.  However, unlike the crackers, which I am not allowed near, I still buy Udi’s pizza and just use it as my once a week fun meal, usually on a Friday or Saturday night.

6. Sometimes eating out still SUCKS – When I see my friends happily looking over the full menu and I am struggling to find one meal I can eat it blows.

7. Occasionally I get jealous – My mom is making her famous Humming Bird Cake/Cupcakes for my best friend’s bridal shower this weekend.  I won’t be able to eat any.  Watching them bite into those babies I will instantly be hit with a wave of jealousy and think why me – why do I have to be gluten free?  Why can’t I eat cupcakes too?  Then I will remember the migraine I am avoiding and it will become a little bit easier.  Just a little.
hummingbird cupcake

What food confessions do you have?
Is there any foods you won’t allow yourself to buy because you can’t stop eating them until the entire box is gone?

Comments

1. Lori Lynn says

I’ve been gluten free for about 2 mths now, b/c of fibromyalgia. I’m going through the same things. The other day I was craving a cream filled doughnut, and it kinda makes me sad that I can’t have one.

I don’t miss a lot of things, but I miss beer, real pizza crust, and real bread. I also get frustrated when friends and family insist that they “get it” and want to make food for me… in their gluten infested kitchen. And then get mad when I tell them they can’t. Sorry, rant over! It’s totally worth it. I had to do a gluten challenge and remembering how I felt is enough to put me off gluten forever! :)

• Kacie says

The beer Omission is gluten free and tastes pretty good. I know what you mean with family saying they get it. I came home from college and was at the store with my mom looking for some dinner foods and she kept suggesting foods with gluten in them. It was so frustrating! She would offer up ideas of pasta or a sandwich and I would have to remind her that I can’t eat those things. The brand Schar makes really decent gluten free bread. Hope these help a little!

I’m experimenting with going gluten free after I realized it’s what has been causing my bloat in the afternoons. It’s only been a week but so far so good. I’m happy it’s working out for you!

4. Jenelle @Mile Twenty Eight says

I’m not GF, but recently I have been really liking “Enjoy Life” Cocoa Loco bars. Heard of them? YUM!

I am outrageously lactose intolerant so I feel your pain. I have thrown out more expensive coffee drinks because after I leave the store I realize I forgot to double check that it was made with soy or almond milk.

I’m not allowed to buy almost anything delicious. Two nights ago I ate half a bag of baby carrots. A bag of baby carrots?! Ridiculous. Self control, not my thing.

That sounds so incredibly frustrating. I know that there is a big picture in sight for you, and I’m sure that makes it easier.

We don’t tend to buy a lot of “junk” food, but I am kind of the opposite. I will eat up to the last portion or two and then refuse to eat anymore. Not necessarily in one sitting, but I just won’t let myself be the one to finsih a box or bag. Funny the quirks we all have about our food.

I’m like that with Nut Thins sometimes too. They’re supposed to be eaten like chips, right? :) That must be just a single serving. I also love them paired with one of those awesome cheeses you had in your photo too. Fancy cheese is the best.

I can’t imagine how tough that must be sometimes. I work with a woman who has a severe gluten allergy and must eat GF all the time. It’s really tough for her because we work in a department where someone is always bringing in food! Earlier this week someone brought in these gigantic muffins and everyone took one but she couldn’t. Whenever I bring something in for someone, I either make it gluten free, or will make a separate thing for her that is. Most people in our department try to do something for her as well, but sometimes people don’t think.

I was in awe watching you and Sarah choose your GF foods in Nola. But you always found something and it looked just as delicious as what I was having! It’s worth it when you know that if you eat it it will cause you pain. My mother-om-law has been having stomach issues for a few weeks now and I suggested gluten free to her. She’s been eating that way for about a week now and hasn’t had any stomach issues! Yay! Great job doing so well with this Abby!

Thanks Mindy. I seem to be rocking the GT thing, now I just need to get the rest of my portion control and snacking down. I need you girls to keep me in check.

I’m vegetarian so I totally get the eating out thing. I am lucky to have one item on a menu most of the time (land of meat and potatoes aka south) and it’s often a sad sad salad that wouldn’t fill up a rabbit. I almost always bring my own protein and have totally gotten over the looks I get when I pull out a container of baked tofu or beans ;-)

I need to find my GF stride again. I have a health condition (that is very personal, and can be very painful) that many believe can be managed with an everything-free (gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free) diet. I gave it a shot last year and I was doing so much better than I have been recently. I keep saying I’m going to start eating that way again and then end up cheating (and I know, I’m only cheating myself). Maybe I need a GF twitter support group to keep me in line. Or some willpower, where I can I buy GF willpower?

If you figure out where to buy willpower let me know.
      I really just need someone to walk behind me and smack food out of my hand.

I have to remember the not be embarrassed thing. My boss bought everyone pizza yesterday and it was the first time I’d had wheat and dairy in a week. I now have a headache and a stomach ache. I will try to remember the next time it happens.

I have been trying to remember to read the label but I don’t know all the words I should be looking for.

Thanks for this post! It was much needed today.

I am not gluten free, but I’ve completely revamped my eating, and IT IS HARD. I have had water only during so many outings with friends, because they’ll pick places that have NOTHING for me. Sure it saves me money, but it isn’t easy. Really, my only quick eating out options are Rudy’s BBQ (turkey) and Chipotle (a bowl). I love them, but sometimes I wish I could just EAT ALL THE THINGS.

I would be jealous too of the things I used to be able to eat, and no longer do! I think that overall it was a great choice for you, though! It is funny that people think that just because you are doing something that is seemingly healthier that you will lose weight. People think that about going vegan/vegetarian too. But, if you only eat the bad things, then it isn’t any healthier!

I’m glad that going GF helped the migraines, as someone who has suffered with them since I was a kid I understand how they affect you.

i also understand the forgetting thing. I stopped drinking caffeine and the first few weeks (and even now) was hard because I’d go and order coffee or latte and forget to ask for decaf. Luckily I have very friendly baristas at the coffee shop near me who are willing to remake drinks for me.

Ever since my IBS has been acting up, I rarely eat gluten. I have one slice of sourdough bread every morning and that is it. Cutting that, dairy and crap out of my diet has helped tremendously. I’m proud you have stuck with the GF lifestyle and are thriving!

Trackbacks