Sometimes it is Okay to Sleep All Day

I had planned a great gluten free update post for you all, but instead I slept all day.  It is 3:00pm and I have only been awake for an hour.  I spent all day in my bed, and maybe (if I get really wild) I’ll manage to move to the couch.  Otherwise it is back to my bed for more snuggly time soon.  sickI would feel super guilty about sleeping the day away, skipping my workout and all my plans, and going to bed super early, but the truth is sometimes our bodies need that rest and we need to listen to them.  I do hate that I am not getting stuff done (I always have a massive weekend to do list), but I have been feeling bad ever since Thursday night, and even with the extra rest I was making sure to get, my body was feeling worse and not better today so I knew I needed more.

Remember that even though we all have jobs, plans, and goals – sometimes you have to listen to your body, take it easy, and sleep the day away.

What is your go to when you feel sick? – A certain movie/TV show, a certain food, etc.?
SpaghettiOs are totally my comfort food because they remind me of being a kid.  I used to eat them two or three times a year, only when I felt horrid.  However, now that I am gluten free I am going to have to find a new sick day food.  Suggestions?

Comments

I’m so sorry you feel bad. And you are right, it is totally okay to stay in bed all day. You are so good at listening to your body and that’s what your body is telling you! I have 2 comfort foods, my mom’s homemade chicken noodle soup and noodles and cottage cheese. I know noodles and cottage cheese might sound weird but it’s so good and you could make it GF with GF pasta. Just cook your noodles and then dump in cottage cheese with salt and pepper. The heat from the noodles makes the cottage cheese gooey. It’s so delicious.

Ah, so sorry that you are not feeling well… I don’t wanna eat when I feel ill so no comfort food recommendations for me… green tea perhaps? Enjoy the extra ZZZZZZzzzzs.

Hope you get to feeling better! I totally agree with you sometimes you need a day to just chill, which is pretty much what I have done all day! It’s been a rainy and cold Sunday here so I have been watching FX movies all day and catching up on blog posts and commenting on blogs. My comfort food of choice is usually Mac N Cheese, I just love it!!

You poor thing!! You are doing the right thing staying in bed and resting!
    So a few months ago I discovered the tomato soup from Trader Joe’s and both Gary and I think it tastes very similar to the Spaghetti O’s sauce. Try that with some gf noodles and ground beef and you’ll have GF Spaghetti O’s.
    Feel better soon! :)

Ugh. I hope you’re feeling better soon. When I’m that sick, I just spend the day watching movies and reading books. Usually at the same time. :)

My favorite comfort foods include canned pears, applesauce and elbow macaroni mixed with campbell’s condensed tomato soup.

Feel better!

I just had flashbacks to me weekend 2 weeks ago. I was flat out on the couch or in bed the whole weekend sick as a dog with no energy. I hope you are feeling better soon. There’s so much junk going around and unfortunately, it sticks with you for quite some time. Boo!

I think being a teacher I am just destined to get sick every once in a while. Luckily I already feel a bit better after sleeping all weekend.

So sorry you’re feeling so bad Abby! Glad you listened to your body and slept. It will help you get better quicker in the long run. When I’m sick I normally don’t want comfort foods….I want my Mom. I know I may be too old for that but she’s who I want more than anyone when I’m sick.

I’m officially sick with a head cold too, and it sucks! My go to is usually drinking Sprite (something about it being a treat to drink when I was sick as a kid, it comforts me) and I like to watch Mean Girls and Legally Blonde when I’m down and out on the couch.
    I totally know what you mean about the “to do” list too. I had several things I wanted to do yesterday and today and I put 90% of it aside so I could rest. It’s hard to do, but I know that not resting will mean being sick a lot longer which I hate even more than a couple days of missed tasks.
    Hope we’re both feeling better soon! PS. When you do your GF update, please link back to your story of why you’re GF, I can’t recall and would enjoy catching-up. I’ve really fallen off the GF wagon the last couple months and I feel like crap! I need to get back in the game.

Sorry you aren’t feeling well – I hope the day of rest helped a lot!!! I’m like you – feel the need to keep pushing until my body forces me to stop for a day or so!

I hope you feel better soon! Sometimes all you can do is listen to your body and give it the rest it needs. That’s what Netflix is for ;) I always go back to Lipton’s chicken noodle soup and plain salted crackers as my comfort food. Hang in there!