I have officially taken over a week off running due to this foot/ankle injury. So my taper is less like a taper and more like couch potato central. After my amazing 18 miler I felt so ready for this marathon, and then to roll my ankle and hurt myself on the 20… YIKES!
After a week off, my run still did not go as planned yesterday. I put my exercise clothes on for the first time in 7 days, but that was about as far as I made it.
People keep asking me – Will you still run the full? Will you switch to the half instead?
The truth is I don’t know. If by some miracle I feel great like I did on my 18 I am going for it.
If I am in screaming pain like I was my last two long runs I will downgrade to the half. I will of course hate giving up on the full and switching if that is what has to happen, but if I am in crazy pain I know that cutting it short might be best in the long run.
People then ask – When will you decide?
Well I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Like at mile 12 when you either turn for the half or continue on for the full. I just hope at that point I have my decision firmly made and am behind it one way or the other.
Have you ever heading to a race not sure you would finish?