Hi all. Just a check in on how I am doing to keep me accountable. Earlier this year I broke my goals up into 3 categories: running, healthy eating, and personal and decided to focus on 3 goals in each category for a total of 9 goals this year.
Here is how it is going so far:
2013 Goals – Running
1. Run 13 races in 2013:
I am still hoping to hit this goal even though we are 2/3 of the way through the year and instead of having run 8 or 9 races I am only at 6. Yikes! The list of 13 I started with has changed about 98 times. It’ll be interesting to see how different it is at the end of the year from how it started out.
1. Jan. 19 – Charleston Half Marathon
2. Jan. 26 – Charlie Post 15K
3. Mar. 23 – Color Me Rad 5K
4. Apr. 6 – Cooper River Bridge Run 10K
5. Apr. 27 – Rock ‘n Roll Nashville Full Marathon
6. July 11 – Race The Landing 5K
… 6 down… 6 to go
7. Sept. 7 – Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon
8. Oct. 5 – IOP Connector Run 10K
9. Oct. 27 – Marine Corp Marathon
10. Nov. 6/7 – Festival of Lights 2 miler
11. Nov. 9 – Rock ‘n Roll Savannah Half Marathon
12. Nov. 28 – Gobble Wobble 5K
13. Dec. 14 – Kiawah Island Half Marathon
Is it possible to squeeze 6 races in while training for two full marathons?
Any tips on how to make it work?
2. Complete my first tri:
I decided sometimes it is okay to give up on a goal.
This one is out, turns out I dislike swimming laps and therefore will never practice/training enough for the swimming portion and to me that makes spending the money to buy the gear I would need to do an actual tri not at all worth it.
3. Work on my speed:
I am taking this one very slowly due to my nagging injury issues so it is not the speed work I had hoped for, but am trying to pick it up a bit with speed workouts every Monday. My fancy new fast girl shoes – The Mizuno Wave Sayonara help me with this. I love having special speed work shoes.
2013 Goals – Healthy Eating
1. Stick to 1,600 calories (of nonjunk):
I am doing pretty well counting calories most days and have done much better making sure my binges are under control. However, I am still finding too many excuses: out to eat, party with friends, cook out, celebration, etc. to eat way more than I should. I am a work in progress.
2. Add more veggies:
My school lunches are loaded with veggies, but I need to add more to my dinners. What’s your favorite go to veggie dish for dinner? Bonus points if it is quick and easy.
3. Stay away from processed sweets and end meals with fruit instead:
I have been way better about not keeping snacky and dessert junk in the house. Yesterday a friend asked what I had for snacks. My response, “fruit, baby carrots, or Greek yogurt.” Big win, now if only I could reign in my thinking that I deserve big huge desserts for a treat every time I leave my house. Breakfast doesn’t need to look like this – just because a cupcake is free and in the teacher’s lounge doesn’t mean I need it. (Well, at least not every time.)
2013 Goals – Personal
1. Follow a work night curfew – computer off by 9:30 & lights by 10:30:
I’ve been really struggling to get back on track after 6 weeks off. Currently I am not in bed until about 11:00. I must improve that as I am really dragging and tired throughout the week.
2. Relax – find time to read before lights out:
I just started the Lifeboat, it seems really interesting so far because the concept is so different from anything I have read previously. Have any of you read it?
3. Be present in the moment – phone off – focus on the people you are with:
I am still doing well with this around my family, but need to be better around my friends. It is hard when many of them are connected to their phones too. Time to focus on improving.
Hopefully by next month I’ll have another race done, a few more speed workouts in, be doing a bit better with my eating, in bed a bit earlier, and focusing more on people and not my stupid phone.
What do you want to accomplish this month?