In my 2013 Goals – Running I announced my number one goal, running 13 races in 2013, which would be a huge increase from the one race I ran in 2012. Wow, it was an ugly injury filled year last year.
My plan looked a bit like this:
1. Jan. 19 – Charleston Half Marathon – Check
2. Jan. 26 – Charlie Post 15K – Check
3. Feb. 9 – Morris Island Lighthouse Half Marathon – ummmm……
4. Mar. 2 – Mullet Hall 10miler
5. Mar. 23 – Color Me Rad 5K
6. Apr. 6 – Cooper River Bridge Run 10K
7. Apr. 27 – Rock ‘n Roll Nashville Full Marathon
*May – Aug. Sprint Triathlon Series (Goal Number 2 – I will complete my first tri!)
8. Sept. 7 – Francis Marion Dirt Dash Half Marathon (or 12K)
9. Oct. 5 – IOP Connector Run 10K
10. Oct. 27 – Marine Corp Marathon
11. Nov. 6/7 – Festival of Lights 2 miler
12. Nov. 28 – Gobble Wobble 5K
13. Dec. 14 – Kiawah Island Half Marathon I completed the first two and was feeling pretty great about myself. Then I was about the register for the Morris Island Half last weekend when the flu struck. I spent an entire week feeling like death, missed or modified 8 workouts (mostly missed), barely left my bed, and was generally a horrid person to be around. Today is the first day I am beginning to feel like myself again, not a 100%, but getting better!
However, I got to thinking about this half marathon and this whole running smarter thing I am supposedly doing and I decided – It is not worth it. I don’t need to push myself to run a half as I am recovering from the flu. I only need to run 13 races this year and I am sure I can find another one to replace it with. Better safe than sorry. Holy crap, did I really learn something from that last injury!?! It is a miracle alert the authorities!
So change of plan – I will not be racing this weekend, instead I will be slowly easing my way back into the life of the living which apparently requires I be awake more than 6 hours a day. (FYI- Pretty sure that was my Diet Bet trick last week. You can’t eat much when you’re only awake 6 hours a day.)
What are your workout plans this weekend?